martedì 5 novembre 2013

My new basing system

Since the beginning of my wargame activity, I thought that placing figures on large bases is for sure the only way to move masses of little soldiers without spending your entire life in each game turn, but the base makes the soldiers looking like "counters" and not like little individuals.
For this reason I tried rulesets like Warhammer, which saves the individual figures, but I don't like their way to placing them on "trays", because they are too much noticeable.
After a lot of tests and many inventions, now I'm converting all my 20mm soldiers to a new basing system, which is a development of the previous system that I've described in an old article in this site (http://magnaacies.blogspot.it/2010/12/ma-come-imbasetto-gli-172.html). 
I preserve the individual soldier: what I do is just gluing them on a very thin cardboard, then I cut the cardboard a bit off the original base of the soldiers, in order to obtain a oval shape.
After painting the soldier, I "glue" it with a touch of plasticine on my old glassy bases, made from a plexyglass (or acetate) foil 0,8 mm thick.
Obviously the system is non perfect: under direct light you see the bases shining a bit, but the overall impression is good: an army looks like a mass of individuals, and not like some "little dioramas" placed near each other.
Judge by yourself!








2 commenti:

puszkin ha detto...

Color shields is one legion?

Appius ha detto...

It should be ...
But currently I've only two bases of hastati/principes and half base of triarii (plus some velites) per legion.
In my game each base is 1000 men, so we have 2000 hastati/principes per legion (instead of 2400) and 500 triarii (instead of 600) per legion.
They are legions a bit underpowered; I'm planning to paint "half bases" with the same shield colors I've already painted, in order to balance the numbers.